Thread: Speculation: Luongo: The Neverending Story
View Single Post
Old
01-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
In fairness, the inquired prior to the sudden fusion of low cap discussions. Not to mention we have no means to verify what their position is on his value. I would want Gagner+ for Luongo, however that leaves them devoid of any worthwhile center depth. Hemsky is also attractive but his injury history concerns me.

They inquired prior to the _proposed_ 60m cap. Also, prior to salaries being eaten in trade and the two buyout clause. So let's say it was for Hemsky. Then they buy out Horcoff and try to find a new home for Dubnyk down the line. That's 14.25m out, 5.3m in. 64.3m cap used right now, so that put them in the 55m range. I really don't want to do a Cap Geek roster for them but if they are losing a net 9m~ dollars overall just from that, I think they'll be ok.

Quote:
Anyhow, Luongo is undoubtedly superior, and I never intended to insinuate otherwise. My point is Edmonton is likely better off running with Dubnyk in a low cap era to see what they have to work with. If they traded for Luongo and expectations for all their prospects paid dividends. They could not afford everyone.

I agree with Cogburn, they may opt to move one of the big four down the road. For now though, I do not see them interested in paying high and tossing Dubnyk to the wolves. The cap makes a notably difference for a number of teams and their interest for Luongo.

Personally, I think they shed guys like Gagner and Whitney before not being able to pay raises to others becomes even a question. And yes, I foresee the same thing Cogburn listed. They will move a main piece to round out their roster. My guess is a #1 LHD, and the piece will be Eberle.

Dubnyk is a placeholder IMO.