View Single Post
Old
01-05-2013, 07:20 PM
MarkusNaslund19

vCash: 500
It's interesting that Pronger could legitimately have joined Patrick Roy as the only three-time Conn Smythe Trophy winners and nobody would have batted an eye, yet he has none. I wonder if it points to him being disliked in the media, as he always comes across as a little arrogant.

2006: He should have won that one. No question. Cam Ward played well, but at no point did I think "wow, Ward is really dictating how these playoffs are going!". I grant that anytime a rookie goalie comes in and does so well when he's needed it's really impressive and a nice story for the media, but Pronger was incredible that year. And I hate the Oilers.

2007: Odd year, in my opinion the Conn Smythe was almost completely undefined in that year. That said, I personally strongly felt it should have gone to Pahlsson, followed by Niedermayer, followed by Pronger.

2010: To me, going into the finals it was Toews or Keith. I don't think it was ever Kane. But Pronger was so amazing throughout the playoffs. I really feel like he carried Philly the same way he carried Edmonton. Toews would have been the no-brainer if he had continued his scoring into the finals, but he was neutralized quite well by Pronger there. Duncan Keith was amazing that whole calendar year. He was just perfect out there, was reading the game incredibly well.
But in terms of carrying an entire defense/goalie, I thought Pronger really should have gotten the Conn Smythe that year.

So in my humble opinion that's one Pronger was robbed of in 06, one he possibly should have won in 10, and one that he could have won in 07. Yet he has none.

We know what kind of player Pronger is/was, but in 50 years I think it'll make a difference in the esteem he is held in, even despite the Hart Trophy.

Last edited by MarkusNaslund19: 01-08-2013 at 12:21 PM.
MarkusNaslund19 is offline   Reply With Quote