View Single Post
Old
01-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
I'm just trying to create a more level field for comparison, although it's never close to exactly equal, even from one season to the next. I think Selanne's prime ('93-'00) was tremendously competitive for finishes in goals/points, one of the most competitive eras in history IMO, only obscured by the Gretzky/Lemieux era directly preceding it (and Lemieux was at/near his peak those years he was healthy, while Gretzky was still a factor most years as well, although not close to his peak). It looks we'll have to agree to disagree, yet again.
Well that's fine, we can disagree here. But Lemieux retired in 1997. Gretzky was a couple of years away from retirement at this time. Lindros was always injured. The NHL is still always the NHL, but the late 1990s/early 2000s were a strange time for forwards. In general you'll see on here that some of the weakest years for forwards were right at that time (1998, 2000, 2002, 2004). It was a lot of things, a bit of a transition for top end talent, some nagging injuries to several star players that caused them to miss parts of seasons. It wasn't that it still wasn't difficult to lead the NHL in a category, but I just don't see how Selanne's era was harder than Dionne's. Even if you want to consider them equal, Dionne was still more regarded by his peers.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote