View Single Post
Old
01-05-2013, 07:35 PM
livewell68

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
He's a dark horse to finish top 10 (maybe even top 5), but not the Art Ross. Whitney finished 11th playing in Phoenix's system (although Ribs flourished under Tippett too, and he seems to like players like them), and I think the two of them are getting pretty underrated, but at the same time, we can't expect too much. ~60 point pace (too lazy to do the math) would be amazing from both of them.
I just want the NHL to drop the darn puck is all. I think it will be a very interesting and exciting season at the least.

I'm a huge Jagr fan and I will admit that I sometimes tend to allow my bias cloud my judgement and to be honest I don't think he will win the Art Ross, but knowing what kind of player he is, I wouldn't put it past him.

I have watched a few of the Czech games in streaming and I will say he looks amazing this year even if it's the Czech league. He looks confident and as opposed to how he was for the last 4 years, including his time in Russia, the Olympics, the World Championships and his time with the Flyers where he seemed content to defer to other players and not want the spotlight as much, he now seems to embrace his star status and his leader status. He wants the puck and he wants to make the plays to lead to wins. He's confident enough to pull off those "Jagr like stick moves" and his shot velocity and accuracy has been close to the one that saw him score 54 goals way back in 2005-06. In fact for a few years he's been quoted as saying that he no longer can challenge for the Art Ross and that he is no longer a star (he was quoted as saying this many times in Russia) but his attitude seems to have changed. It seems the lockouts seem to always energize Jagr more than most. During the 1994-95 short season season following a lockout, Jagr won his first Art Ross with 70 Pts in 48 games. The last time there was a lockout, Jagr came out of the gate and finished 2nd in league scoring and captured along the way his 3rd Pearson award. Can we see a similar result following this lockout? I think for one thing, playing in the same division as Selanne and having that rivalry and race to the European scoring crown going will help to motivate Jagr. He still has a lot of pride and if one thing, he will want to outscore Selanne and I think Selanne still has a lot of game left in him as well. Jagr was bitterly disappointed with his play down the stretch last season and he feels that was the reason why the Flyers decided to move in a different direction. He will have something left to prove.

We shall just wait and see.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote