View Single Post
Old
01-05-2013, 07:43 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Good comparison.

Tocchet you have to remember was still a very talented player on his own even before hitting the Pens. Had a 96 point year on a suspect Flyers team in 1990. Also played in a couple Canada Cups. Nolan played in the 2002 Olympics.

With Nolan you probably have the best season either man had (2000) but there was a huge drop off with his next best years. That season really just peaked out of nowhere. He also doesn't have a very good playoff record and was part of some teams that could have gone further but didn't. Such as the 1995 Nordiques. Or the 2003 Leafs. I know the Leafs lost to the Flyers, but Nolan was picked up late in 2003 for the very reason to help the Leafs with a deep playoff push and had 2 assists in that 7 game series. He also was so-so in the 2002 Olympics, at best.

Tocchet probably had his best year in 1993 with 109 points on that stacked Pens team. He had deeper playoff runs which he helped out a lot with, he won a Cup and he had more "good" regular seasons than Nolan.

Individually I think you feared Tocchet a bit more. He was meaner. He is one guy where you could say he wouldn't get beat in a fight, maybe not win, but not get throttled. He was stronger, more individually talented and had a bigger toolbox.

Nolan, for all he was worth never really hit the level you hoped he would, and in my opinion he falls short in a comparison against Tocchet.

Big Phil is online now   Reply With Quote