View Single Post
Old
01-05-2013, 08:42 PM
FLYguy3911

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyersFan18 View Post
And to give up on a 20 year old that has tremendous defensive awareness and skill combined with offensive prowess? Look I love Seth Jones, think he's a fantastic player but I don't think losing Couturier for him is anywhere close to helping this team. Jones isn't going to step in and make this team better now, or in 5 years. In fact he reminds me of a bigger version of Erik Johnson. All the tools.. no tool box and to be a Franchise defender in this league you need the tools and the tool box... something Couturier has proven he has.
That's where our opinions differ. I'm usually a wait and see kind of guy when it comes to prospects, but I'm am fully convinced Jones in a franchise #1 defenseman. He is a rare prospect. I've never seen a defenseman as big as him be able to move the way he does. Not just his speed, but the way he pivots and flips his hips for a guy of his size is unlike anything I've ever seen- certainly in a different class than Erik Johnson. He has great length and reach, he can lug the puck in the zone, he can QB a PP, he can be a triggerman on a PP. He can do it all. Even if you think his offense won't translate, he's at least a shutdown guy with the ability to move the puck.

I'm a huge Couturier fan, but I see him as a #2 center with shutdown capabilities. Valuable? Hell yeah, but sans Pronger, this team has lacked a #1 defenseman for how long now? They are incredibly hard to get and if you have the opportunity to do it, you do it.

This is all hypothetical anyway because in order to get Jones you're gonna need to get #1 overall and Couturier alone isn't gonna get you there. The best bet is to tank this season (if there is one) and pray you don't end up like Columbus lol.