View Single Post
Old
01-05-2013, 09:56 PM
Sergei Shirokov

vCash: 500
Honestly I think alot of people are putting too much stock into the WJ and NCAA stats for Gaudreau. At the NCAA and WJ level size doesn't really affect a player as much as in the pro game.

I would take Tuevo easily. He's playing in the Finnish mens league against much tougher competition, probably with less ice time/opportunity and still has decent numbers.

Gaudreau looks like a poor man's Pat Kane, but I don't think he has the same upside, I would say a top 6 forward, but I wouldn't go as far to say he has surefire 1st line potential.

His defensive game needs work,n he will need to add more strength and I don't think he is quite the skater Kane was/is or St.Louis for that matter.

he is crafty like those two, is great at freezing the opposition but I doubt he will be able to have the same dominance in the AHL or NHL, cause he isn't as adept defensively.

For example I relate it to Jordan Schroeder, JS had a great NCAA/WJ career (All time leading scorer for the USA, and he only played in 2 not 3)

But at the pro game he has had his struggles early on, but last year & this year he has really improved and has earned his NHL shot, so he has overcome his size issue like Gaudreau will have to but the thing he has over Gaudreau is he was/is alot stronger physically and he also is a better defensive player.

Not trying to rain on the parade cause I'm a Cauncks fan (Cause I try not to hold a bias when assessing prospects) but he does have things to overcome in order to make it, I wouldn't too much stock into the WJ other than to say that he does have great offensive skill.

Hopefully he does develop into something good though, personally I like seeing smaller player do well in the NHL.