View Single Post
Old
01-05-2013, 11:56 PM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
As for the other guys mentioned: Pouliot was one of the elite players available at #8. In retrospect, I would be happy with any one of Pouliot, Trouba, Terravainen, or Forsberg or Grigorenko at number 8 (and Grigs only if he could/would play wing, on a team alread boasting Crosby/Malkin/Sutter at centre). Anyone of those 4 or 5 guys are in the elite category, and could be considered BPA.
You do realize that you are considering organizational needs over BPA with that Grigorenko asterix, for a team that has NOTHING on the farm as regards centers, yet you do not consider needs a factor when it comes to Pouliot who has an ungodly amount of qualified prospects ahead of him before we even start talking about who is on the NHL roster?

That makes absolutely no sense to me.

And just to make clear, I think BPA is the right way to go... to a point. There comes a time when you can have so many players for one position on the farm that you simply cannot dream of getting a satisfying number of them through the system and thus hurt the value of those you do have by getting more.
We most definitely have that situation now, and compared to the rather dire situation for forwards, we did so even before a draft that added a significant number of new D-men to the pile.
When put in a situation where we could draft a forward likely to become an impact player, it was nauseating that we gambled on a puck-mover with a ways to go defensively and size concerns to boot. No matter that I think Pouliot is obviously a very nice prospect. For us he should have been a no-go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
The good news is, unlike some think, we can give these guys LOTS of time to develop. 3 full years in the AHL for Morrow, Maatta or Philip Samuelsson? No problem! It may piss off some fans who are just too excited and want to see these guys in the NHL, but we have the luxury of doing what is best for each player, especially when it comes to defense.
Sure we can, and if we didn't have such log-jam, that would certainly be the best way to go about things. But before we consider this such a great thing, a priori like, lets see what happens with Strait and Bortuzzo who have gone down that road and developed very, very well, to the point that both looks like NHL defenders for sure.
I suspect that we will end up losing both of them and Lovejoy - who is also an NHL defender - for almost nothing during 2013.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote