View Single Post
Old
01-06-2013, 12:13 AM
Gourou

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Housley didn't remind me of Bowman but there's no reason to knock a coach whose team defeated those that were favored over his. His use of particular players worked out well. Did anyone on this board expect Grimaldi and Gaudreau to be outstanding while Galchenyuk was almost a non-factor compared to Yakupov and Grigorenko? Nor did McKinnon play like an odds-on favorite to be taken #1--so much for an ill-conceived tanking strategy! Who else looked good? Obviously, Jones, and several undrafted Russians and Swedes. I should have added that I wouldn't trade Galchenyuk for Huberdeau, who didn't impress me at al.

Maybe it's spiteful to say so, but Gibson and Lundstrom solidly outplayed Malcolm Subban.
Grimaldi outstanding?? He played 1 great game and it doesn't erase the fact he was bad for most of the tourney.

As for Galchenyuk and most of the top prospects in the WJC, I think that they are all victims of the hype around them. Everyone thinks a top prospect should dominate from end to end every game he is into and I find this ridiculous. Even in the NHL there is very few players that can do that. So every year top prospects don't live up to the hype and people are disapointed. This year it's Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Reilly, Huberdeau, Hamilton etc. There's even talk on the main board about RNH. At the opposite, some relatively unknown prospect with not a lot of hype like Gaudreau have a very good tournament and there's people penciling him as a first liner in the NHL.

He had an average tournament, he could and he can be better, but he still was better than the majority of players that took part in it. There is a lot of factor (coach, system, teammates, big ice, etc,) that may have affected his game and that he will never face again or will improve on. People just need to chill out.