View Single Post
Old
01-06-2013, 12:44 AM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
They dont even have the best players now. By 2030 most of the league will be American.
Quote:
Originally Posted by razor ray View Post
Posts like this show why Hockey Canada/Canada Hockey fans and arrogance go perfectly together. 14 WJC in a row will likely never be beat but we are talking about the future not the past which several Canadian fans, like yourself, live in. USA and Europe will likely make up over 50% of the NHL in 15 Years with Canada being in the high 40s. Kids in Canada have more options for sports now and the numbers have been flat for awhile while growing in other places. Canada will still have more players in the NHL but it will go down.
I am reminded of an article a guy named Earl McRae wrote right after the 1996 World Cup of hockey. I can't find it for the life of me so I'll paraphrase. He said that Americans are soon going to be taking up spots in the NHL and the best stars in the world will be American. I remember him saying something like "And you'd better get used to it." He compared the soon to be dominance of American hockey like Pacman "gobbling up" the ghosts or something along those lines. That was 17 years ago. The OP is asking about 2030 which is 17 years from now. The best talent we have ever seen from America happened in the 1990s and for a stretch that core was good enough to win tournaments.

It was supposed to happen in 1980 after the Miracle on Ice. Then Gretzky going south was supposed to get every kid to play hockey. Then the World Cup in 1996. Oh, but if they won Gold in 2002 on home ice we REALLY would have seen a spike.

Well, we're still waiting. I don't think I have seen such a low amount of elite Americans in the NHL since the early 1980s. Granted the Americans won the Gold in the WJC the other day and there are some blue chippers but if the best American in the world is Zach Parise then where is this dominance coming from that we are supposed to see?

Russia has had better eras than this one. Finland has been about the same for 20 years. Same with the Czechs. Same with Sweden for that matter. The first European to go 1st overall in the draft was Sundin in 1989. We've seen high Euro draft picks for over 20 years now. I am not sure where this spike is supposed to be since Canada has comfortably had 55% of the NHL population for quite some time and it hasn't exactly been sinking.

17 years is not that long away. I don't see much changing.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote