View Single Post
Old
01-06-2013, 04:06 AM
Harry Waters

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Thornton did win a championship that year though did he not? I am just saying that in all the threads I have seen discussing Thornton's HHOF chances I have never even heard a word about his 2004-'05 season bumping him up. You'd think there would be, but there isn't. Malkin is probably playing another decade in the NHL and could win a lot more hardware. With all that I expect him to accumulate in his career I don't even think the 2012-'13 partial season in the KHL (I am assuming the NHL is back for half a season) will be elevated to even a footnote status. Right now it seems mildly important but it will soon be forgotten. If the WHA is more or less irrelevant to a player's HHOF status I don't see why a KHL season wouldn't be either.
I hear what you are saying, and partially I do agree, but Thornton's season in Switzerland is not a good point in my opinion. The 2012-13 KHL is a much better league.

And to your point that Malkin would leave his team in the dust the minute the deal is signed: sure, we know that the NHL is still more important, but he also has a contract. And on another side note: he would leave the Penguins in the dust as well if the NHL wouldn't let the players play in Sochi 2014, so the NHL is not above everything.

Like I said, this KHL season should get more credit, because it might be the best "alternative league" for players to compete over the stretch of the last three lockouts.

Harry Waters is offline   Reply With Quote