CBA / Lockout Discussion Thread (Update: player tested, owner approved)
View Single Post
01-06-2013, 05:41 AM
Join Date: Nov 2009
A GREAT DAY FOR HOCKEY
NHL AND NHLPA REACH DEAL ON COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENT
A tentative deal on a new
10-year collective bargaining agreement
has been reached between the National Hockey League and NHL Players' Association.
The next stage is documentation and ratification of the deal with the start date and number of games in the 2012-13 season still to be announced depending on how long the final process takes.
What they've settled on:
- The league coming off their demand for a $60 million cap in Year 2, meeting the NHLPA's request to have it at $64.3 million - which was the upper limit from last year's cap. The salary floor in Year 2 will be $44 million.
- The 10-year deal also has an opt-out clause that kicks in after eight years.
- The salary variance on contracts from year to year cannot vary more than 35 per cent and the final year cannot vary more than 50 per cent of the highest year.
- A player contract term limit will be seven years and eight years for a team signing its own player.
- The draft lottery selection process will change with all 14 teams fully eligible for the first overall pick. The weighting system for each team may remain, but four-spot move restriction will be eliminated.
- Supplemental discipline for players in on-ice incidents will go through NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan first, followed by an appeal process that would go through Bettman. For suspensions of six or more games, a neutral third party will decide if necessary.
- Revenue sharing among teams will spread to $200 million. Additionally, an NHLPA-initiated growth fund of $60 million is included.
Also, a decision on NHL participation at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games will be made outside of the new CBA. While it is likely that the league will participate, the IIHF and IOC will have discussions with the NHL and Players' Association.
Last edited by LightningStrikes: 01-06-2013 at
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by LightningStrikes