View Single Post
01-06-2013, 09:02 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Dark Shadows View Post
Ill never defend what Clarke did to Kharlamov. Coach told him to take him out and he did it. However, the Russians were using pretty sneaky and tactics to play dirty. Constant subtle spearing behind the knees, etc(Several Canadian players quote that the behinds of their legs were black and blue after every game)
Both sides could be "ugly." The Soviets (not all but some) would at times kick our skates to cut the laces. Rick Smith told me he was aghast at being spit on when the series began. Boris Mikhailov really hurt Gerry Cheevers in Game 4 with a viscous spear to the back of Cheevers leg.

But we were not angels. Gordie Howe broke (I believe it was Sergie Kapustin's) forearm with a slash. Rick Ley beat Valery Kharlamov into a bloody pulp at the end of Game 6. Andre Lacroix nearly sent Vladimir Petrov to the hospital in Game 7 with a spear to the groin (that Canadian referee Tom Brown didn't call.) Lacroix then got nailed for spearing 2 games later in Prague when Team Canada lost 3-1 to the Czechs.

I could go on. But this shows the levels that players on both teams would stoop to in the white hot intensity of International hockey.

Craig Wallace

cam042686 is offline   Reply With Quote