View Single Post
01-06-2013, 10:27 AM
vCash: 500
I think if Paul Martin would return to how he played in Jersey, he'd be much more likable here. Just really smart, simple, positionally sound hockey. It seemed last season that he tried to step out of what he's good at, and that's when he got in trouble. I think back to last season against the Isles...he just made John Tavares' life completely miserable, and totally shut the guy down. It was just an impeccable defensive performance, and that game stands out to me as to what Paul Martin can do against really good players in this league.

Maybe pairing him with a guy like Niskanen or Letang would be a good thing. He handles the puck less and worries strictly about defense more. Granted, he'll never live up to his salary, but that is what it is. I can't personally see us buying him out, unless he just completely sucks in every single facet of the game, which, even last year, he didn't do.

People say he had a completely **** year, but in honesty, he had a really good 30-40 game stretch sandwiched between a horrendous beginning and a terrible playoff.