View Single Post
Old
06-11-2006, 02:34 PM
Dr_Hook

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyHeatley#1Fan
Of course a team could have more than one powerforward, I just don't feel that we have two spots open on the wing. Higgins and Ryder on a line, Kovalev and ???, Perezoghin - Zednik/Kostistyn/, Bégin and Murray/Downey. I wouldn't move Ryder for Bertuzzi plus Zednik, if traded, could easily be replaced by Kostistyn and even by Latendresse or Grabo. That's why I said that I would prefer giving a spot to Latendresse then to trade for Bertuzzi because IMO, there is not more then 1 spot REALLY wide open on the wing. Anyway, at the money Bertuzzi make, considering that Markov is a pending UFA and that we need another center, I don't think he is the right fit.
The other thing to consider is that Ryder is an RFA and with the goal production he had this year, he will no doubt command a nice salary raise. Is he worth it ? Does Gainey think he's worth it ? If we pull off the trade Ryder(RFA) + Zednik (1,9)for Bertuzzi (5,3) and then give the other job to one of our rookies (lats or Kost who wouldn't make big $), that makes good sense, hockey wise and financially too.
Do you prefer...
A) Big Bert and Latendresse (or Kost) at about 6 millions
or
B) Zednik and Ryder at about 4,5 maybe 5 millions

I think it comes down to this: if you like Ryder's upside, thinks he still has room to improve and/or think Bert is a distraction and/or over the hill, you like B
But if you think that Ryder has already peaked and that Bert with a change of scenery would regain his form, then there's no argument, it's A. and that's where I lodge

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote