View Single Post
Old
01-06-2013, 11:21 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Eh. I'd rather have Cooke/Sutter/Dupuis shutdown the opposition's #1 threat and build around Sid/Geno.

Don't see Tangradi as a fit on our third line.
Cooke and Dupuis are well into their thirties and won't be around in a few yrs. Tangradi has ideal size to wear down the opposition and generate offense.

I'd say he is ideal for the third line. He and Vitale did quite well in a checking line role in WBS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Championships are won with more than two lines. At the same time, the Pens have a unique advantage: They have Sid and Geno, and nobody else does. If both Sid and Geno had two decent wingers each-- and not committing 6M a year to Staal makes that doable under the cap-- then you'd really have a situation like the 2008 cup run, where Sid had Hossa and Dupuis (Dupuis may not be true top six, but he's passable with Sid and an elite winger) and Geno had Malone and Sykora.

I just see Sid and Geno as the Pens advantage. Advantages should be exploited, even if it means an extra question elsewhere. Better, IMO, then mitigating the advantage to do more elsewhere.

End of the day, all teams have questions. I'd rather put my trust in Sid and Geno and the fact that no team has the depth to handle both of them if both were to have two good wingers each.

Can't speak for anyone else, but this is why I'm a little obsessed with who (or, put another way, the types of players) who play on the top two lines.

If Bennett is ready, then great. If Tangradi surprises, then all the better. But, I know that I don't want TK anywhere near a line with Sid or Geno, and I know that Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis has a nice ring to it for a team looking to make a cup run.
I've been spouting the same thing for awhile about giving Crosby and Malkin legit wingers. However, people have tunnel vision with Tangradi and don't understand he can have value beyond a top six role.