View Single Post
Old
01-06-2013, 12:00 PM
MardocAgain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post
I know I will most likely look foolish if he fails but yes I do think he will be an Art Ross contender.

This season barring any injuries will be the ideal situation for Jagr to challenge for the Art Ross even at his age.

Sure he is 40 years old but he's also 20 lbs lighter (there is a Facebook training video shot on his iPad in which he states he's 100 kg this year which means he's 220 lbs now as opposed to the 240 he was last season. This means he will be lighter and have less weight to push around on the ice meaning he has less chances of aggravating his groin. He's also looking impressively fast on his skates, something that hasn't happened really since he left Pittsburgh.

He looks really confident and his shot seems to be back to the level it was at in 2005-06 when he scored 54 goals. With just 48-52 games to play in the regular season, he doesn't have to pace himself and he can play all out every night. He won't have to worry about tiring himself out. Sure he's been playing a lot of minutes in the Czech league (22-26 minutes a game) but they only play about 2 games a week. His legs are fresh and he's pumped. He leaves the Czech League with 55 Pts in just 33 games to lead that league in PPG. Plus he completed outplayed Plekanec, Krejci and Hemsky in that league. Don't forget that before his injury last season in Philadelphia that he had 41 Pts in his first 40 games. This was despite taking a good 10 games to re-accustom himself to the NHL game after being away from it for 3 seasons and this after not playing the 20-23 minutes a game he usually saw in the past. He also wasn't given the chance to run a powerplay and play at his usual position on the right half boards during the man advantage. Nieuwendyk is the GM of the Stars and he got to see him score a hattrick earlier this year in the Czech Extraliga and believe me this, the Stars have already promised Jagr more icetime and a spot on the top line with the keys to the Stars' powerplay. He will have more chances to succeed than he did in Philly.

Just check out some of these goals he scored over there. He didn't exactly give it 100% in that league anyways in efforts to not injure himself. This is the healthiest and the best he's been since 2005-06, no joke.

Don't forget that this is a condensed schedule. That will probably be harder on the older players.

MardocAgain is offline   Reply With Quote