Thread: Prospect Info: 2012-13 Prospect Updates
View Single Post
Old
01-06-2013, 12:00 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
The reports out of the OHL (have not seen him play) are that his defensive game is just as good if not better. We all expected he'd be a solid two-way player at the next level.

That said, his scoring hasn't improved a ton, and he also dealt with a mystery illness. I don't think there's confirmation it's behind him, but it hasn't been mentioned in a while.

That said, I think it'd be wrong to jump to conclusions that he's a one trick pony in the NHL. Maybe he won't be an elite offensive threat, but some guys take a bit longer to dominate the OHL too. Look at Ritchie. No one really had faith in his offensive game. Now in his 19 year old season he's blowing up, and people (Bob McKenzie even mentioned it as a possibility today) are talking about him being a candidate for Dallas' training camp and a serious look at the NHL.

My point is that the fact he's not dominating the OHL offensively right this second doesn't seem to be a condemnation of his ability to eventually be a solid offensive option in the NHL. He may not be a point per game producer, but he could be a dominant two way player that can pot 40 to 60 points. That's still invaluable to a team.