View Single Post
Old
01-06-2013, 02:15 PM
Dark Shadows

vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam042686 View Post
Both sides could be "ugly." The Soviets (not all but some) would at times kick our skates to cut the laces. Rick Smith told me he was aghast at being spit on when the series began. Boris Mikhailov really hurt Gerry Cheevers in Game 4 with a viscous spear to the back of Cheevers leg.

But we were not angels. Gordie Howe broke (I believe it was Sergie Kapustin's) forearm with a slash. Rick Ley beat Valery Kharlamov into a bloody pulp at the end of Game 6. Andre Lacroix nearly sent Vladimir Petrov to the hospital in Game 7 with a spear to the groin (that Canadian referee Tom Brown didn't call.) Lacroix then got nailed for spearing 2 games later in Prague when Team Canada lost 3-1 to the Czechs.

I could go on. But this shows the levels that players on both teams would stoop to in the white hot intensity of International hockey.

Craig Wallace
Neither side were angels. But it is amazing how some Canadians thought some of the hits they threw were ok, while also funny how baffled the Soviets were by the response to their spearing with fists. They thought covert spearing was part of the game the way Canadians thought rough hitting was part of the game, which baffled Canadian players.
Everything was different. The Soviets passed when the Canadians thought they would shoot and shot when they were sure a pass was coming. And vice versa. both teams goaltenders were caught by surprise often because it was so different from what they were used to

Dark Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote