View Single Post
Old
01-06-2013, 03:26 PM
Street Hawk

vCash: 500
I recall in prior meetings and news from TSN, they had discussed penalties that would be applied to teams that signed Long term back diving deals.

Like Crosby, average salary of $10.5 million over the 12 years, but a cap hit of $8.7 million.

Something along the lines of making the team that signed the original contract having to take a cap hit for the year(s) when a player retires.

For me, I hope there is language in the CBA that just ensures that all salary paid to a player gets applied to the salary cap. So, if Crosby, Luongo, Hossa, Parise, etc. retire with 2-3 years left on their contracts, I hope they simply do something like:

Take all of the salary the player was paid (minus) cap hit for the years he played. Any difference should be applied evenly (average) against that team's salary cap for the years left on the player's deal. All this is based on the player not retiring due to injury (not medically cleared to play)

If a player (say Luongo) is traded, then the Canucks who paid him $10 million and $6.7 million for a total of $16.7 million over 2 years, but took only $10.6 million in cap hit, should get hit with $6.1 million of salary cap hit. for the years he doesn't play out his contract. The other team would do the same thing.

Wait and see if there is any language like this in the CBA.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote