View Single Post
Old
01-06-2013, 03:31 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I agree teams were built around Tkachuk (even though he wasn't much of a leader). No argument Tkachuk is #1 out of those three, but what did Nolan do in his career better than Tocchet? I think anyone is going to be a complementary player with Mario Lemieux on their team. Tocchet had a couple seasons where he was the best Flyer on his team. Either way, I don't think you win if Nolan or Tocchet are your best players. I just don't see the reason Nolan would be ahead of Tocchet.
Nolan put up points better than Tocchet, by what I think is a small but clear margin. Was Tocchet's ability to intimidate and win puck battles better enough than Nolan to make up the gap?

It wasn't just Mario Lemieux, Tocchet was the 4th or 5th best forward on the Penguins when he won the Cup - behind Lemieux, Francis, Stevens, and possibly a young Jagr.

Tocchet was the best player on the 1989-90 Flyers (largely because Mark Howe missed half the season), but that team didn't make the playoffs: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1317089

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote