View Single Post
Old
01-06-2013, 06:16 PM
Drury_Sakic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
Interestingly enough, I believe New York's biggest need is a 2nd line center? Depending on how Stepan performs. I don't think Del Zotto would come that cheap. He just finished 12th in Norris voting. If he was coming to the Avs, my bet would be a certain RFA center would be going the other way.
I think Chris Kreider will get a good long chance to take the 2nd line job for the Rangers, but yeah, a 2nd line center is probably on their wish list. That said, the Rangers are at 52 million for next (2013-2014) season with only 16 players signed, with McDonagh being a big re-sign and a few other smaller parts in Stepan, Hagelin, Halpern, and Sauer, and Eminger to re-sign. If you add a big salary guy going back to NY, say O'Reilly at anywhere from 3.5-4.5, that makes it hard to fill out depth next season, presuming McDonagh has strong follow up season and is in that 4-5 range. They are also at about 59 million without DZ on the roster, thus adding O'Reilly puts them over the cap.

Given all that, I would bet the Rangers would much rather get cheaper young talent and/or picks than actual equal roster value at this point....plus they can sit a tad under the cap this season and use those parts to add a bigger fish at the trade deadline...say rent Ryan Getzlaf for the playoffs...as an example.