View Single Post
Old
01-06-2013, 05:23 PM
SenateReform

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
This is all you could come up with in rebuttal to my post (2/3rds of which you edited out, lol)? Deal with all of it, and let's not get drawn down ridiculous tangents. Let's forget about the periphery stuff (like reputation, results, leadership awards and post season all-star balloting) that favours Sundin, if you like, and get back to your argument for dismissing Sundin's tenure as captain of Sweden during the period they represented their country together as further representative of anything significant.

I showed that in consecutive years leading up to Sundin's run as Swedish captain that the club had no problem changing captains - even redistributing it while the incumbent still played for the squad, and not always going to simply the longest serving ("most experienced") member of the team, either. So, ball's in your court. What does Alfredsson have to counter the fact that not once in a 10 year span did Sundin's level of play and/or "leadership" ever drop to the point that anyone, let alone Alfredsson as just one possible option, was ever considered as a necessary captain change on any Swedish team he appeared with (after Nagano, as explained earlier)?
Alfie has nothing to counter to that in regards to team Sweden. I've said it before in this thread. Sundin deserved the captaincy, he earned it and there was never a good reason for team Sweden to take away his captaincy.

I have a lot of respect for Sundin and I think he's one of the greatest captains of all time, but that doesn't mean he's better than Alfredsson and holding on to the one simple fact that Sundin captained a team over Alfredsson for less than 25 games in their entire careers which spans thousands of games is odd.

When you compare what they accomplished for their respective NHL franchises and overall contribution to the team and community then Alfredsson is the better captain. He has always been team first to the extent of deferring pay cheques while the team went through financial hardships and fostered Karlsson when he first moved to North America. His entire career has been spent playing for the same organization and he's led that organization further than Sundin ever has while becoming the first European to ever captain a team in the finals.