View Single Post
Old
01-06-2013, 06:05 PM
BUX7PHX

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
From my understanding, it won't happen this season, but before next. Rangers are not one of those teams. Minnesota is. Toronto has about 1/3 of it's NHL roster going to be UFAs. A few teams will have a hard time re-signing their free agents (both RFAs & UFAs) and may need to make roster moves prior to free agency. Some will have to be creative and make minor trades to reduce their cap. I really don't see many Amnesty buy outs. Really, I don't see Chaos except for Minnesota. Vancouver will most likely trade Luongo. Another question is can Calgary re-sign Iginla (and the reason why I made that earlier post).Philadelphia will lose Pronger's hit and it shouldn't be an issue but they will have difficulty re-signing 38 yo Timonen. SJ may lose Clowe...
The Coyotes may be able to take advantage of teams that are trying to reduce payroll. The teams that tend to be the top draw for UFAs may not be in play as much as in the past, the next off-season will likely be a buyers market. About 1/2 of the teams are currently over $60 mil, all the teams will have UFAs coming off the books.
I wouldn't say chaotic, but it will be interesting. Jamison will have the opportunity to make an immediate impact, and I'm hoping he tries.
The following teams are in need of clearing cap space for next year, and open to trades (is there a trade deadline set with the reduced schedule?):

Boston
Chicago (maybe - would rather pursue Stalberg as a UFA)
Montreal (Galchenyuk is going to be up sooner rather than later, and the UFA/RFA situation are all bottom 6 contracts)
Philadelphia
San Jose (maybe - would rather pursue Clowe as a UFA)

That's honestly about it. Minnesota is not in awful shape, as the two contracts coming off are for Cullen and P.M. Bouchard - they could re-sign Cullen for a hometown discount, get the RFA D-men locked up for another 2 years at modest raises and fill 1 or 2 spots with rookies/call-ups.

FA could become a gold mine, just b/c teams may no longer be in a position to easily re-sign a certain player. I don't want to pick up a stretch run UFA in a trade and then have to worry about him bolting at the end of the season.