View Single Post
Old
01-06-2013, 07:43 PM
thecupismine

vCash: 500
Yeah, this claim that the defense isn't deep enough is just stupid. Most of the talking heads are looking at Garrison and his 16 goals saying he won't be able to put up those kinds of numbers again. I don't think they understand that the main reason we picked him up was because of his defensive abilities more-so than his ability to score. His goal-scoring numbers dropping is completely fine so long as he keeps up his defensive play of the last couple years. The Tanev-Ballard pairing is a great third pairing, so I don't know what they're complaining about there. Sure, they aren't typical, massive, slow, hard-hitting 5-6 defensemen but unlike those types, these two can actually skate and move the puck up the ice. Ballard can hip-check like with the best of them and is quite physical for his size.

The only problem compared to previous years is that we're quite weak after Alberts; more than one injury on the backend could cripple us. Having one more defensive prospect in the minors who we could call up if necessary could help in that regard, but that's about it. Also we could be a little worried about having to move one of Edler/Garrison to the right side as they haven't performed particularly well there in the past, but that has little to do with depth. Essentially, unless we're looking to replace Ballard immediately, I don't see the issue here.

With regards to the return for Luongo, if Bozak is a key piece coming back, I'm going to be pissed. He's not a great player at all and was picky-backing off of Kessel all of last year. I'm curious to see what the return will be and whether it will be now or closer to the trade deadline. I'm hoping for someone who can play center or wing in a top 6 forward position to allow the team more versatility in dealing with injuries, but I'm not holding my breath.