View Single Post
01-06-2013, 10:34 PM
trust in linden CREW
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by stevecanuck16 View Post
On the first point, I think you are overplaying Ballard's poor play. To me, he is simply the 5th best of our 5 top-four defenseman. The poster who called him a luxury is absolutely correct, and we may need to get rid of him for that reason, but it would likely be a downgrade.

As for Luongo, the cap hasn't been lowered near as much as expected. Combine this with other factors including the rumoured ability to retain salary in trades, the lack of punishment for such contracts and the removal of any uncertainty about the future of the contract, and the unique situation of a shortened season, and I think his value has gone up if anything. Remember, a large part of the reason why people tore down his value before was the possibility of the new CBA making his contract an albatross. It didn't (unless we haven't heard some unfortunate details of the CBA).

Relative to his salary cap, Ballard has played poorly. No good team would want a guy paid that much to be putting in the work of a bottom-pairing defenseman. At this point, he's been one step above Komisarek. Maybe not a sure-fire buyout candidate, but it will be an option that will be considered.

I agree that Luongo's contract isn't an "albatross" under the new cap, but it is still a significant burden for teams to bear, somewhat more so now. The potential returns have undoubtedly diminished.

Jyrki is offline   Reply With Quote