View Single Post
Old
01-06-2013, 10:39 PM
Blueline Bomber
From the Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Like I said, I disagree. I saw no issues with his decision making in this game. He was in the right spot in the defensive zone, he made good passes out of that zone, he made good passes in the neutral zone and created a lot of scoring chances for both him and others. And it wasn't just "dangling and a player going 1 on 5".

Based on the comments in this thread, most others seem to agree. Sounds like you had a pre-conceived notion and picked a few things to try and make your point. We obviously saw it differently.

I have no idea if he'll ever be a good NHL player and I'm not commenting on the quality of competition, but based on what I saw this game, he was one of the better forwards on the ice...both his skill set and his decision making.
And you're welcome to disagree. I'm not trying (nor do I need to) justify my observations to you.

He made some poor decisions with the puck, especially with shot selection. It's not pre-conceived notions, it's a fact. It's great that he was getting those chances in the first place, and in fact, that's what I loved about his game in this match. He created a lot of chances. It was his execution when he got those chances that left a lot to be desired. If he wants to be a NHL Top 6er (which I imagine is still the case, since I don't believe we'll be changing the 3rd/4th lines too much), his finish has to be better or he's got to start using his linemates more.

Now, if he wants to be an energy guy, his finish isn't so important and just creating those chances is enough. But then he's also got to be more physical. Actually, the whole Checkers team needs to be more physical. They got manhandled in the first period, and obviously, that was the message in the first intermission, since they did much better in the 2nd and 3rd about ramping up their physical play. Might have just been the result of Sutter's early penalty though, sort of a "better safe than sorry" approach.

But since I'm a glutton for punishment, I've also got to add that Welsh didn't really stand out this game. I'm assuming he's had a better season for Charlotte than he showed this game, especially if we're expecting to pencil him into the 3rd line center role for the Canes.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote