View Single Post
Old
06-12-2006, 11:04 AM
SOLR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk
To those who dont want Sourray on the powerplay(I cant help laughing while typing this).
WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU REMOVE ONE OF THE BEST SHOTS IN THE LEAGUE FROM THE 5TH RANKED POWER PLAY?
Habs powerplay = Markov-Koivu-Kovalev

Sourray or not, its not a big change, we can have better. Whoever we put around the 3 players core will do good.

I prefer Dandenault(fast, can be the 4th forward!)
Bouillon(very accurate wrist shot)
Streit(fast, good shot)
Rivet(secure puck handling, good shot)
Komisarek shot is very heavy, just not used atm.(Hope it will start this year, the kid got a bullet)

I see a big trend overall in talent analysis on this board that I think people have a hard time with: opportunity analysis. To have good stats/ good performances you need good opportunities. You can't possibly evaluate to 2 players without comparing their opportunities and what they do with them.

Sourray had very good opportunities, we know what he can give, but he is not a Phaneuf/Mcinnis class shooter that you cant possibly replace. Hes just not in that league, he got the same power but certainly not the same accuracy. Sure he can score 20 goals with huge shot sent "somewhere on the net" but I don't think theres a "Im going to shoot in the top corner" accuracy there. (Aka. Forsberg accuracy, probably the best for slap shots in the league.)

Sourray is also a defensive risk on the powerplay, hes not that fast on the ice and not the fastest decision maker either. His value on the pvp is more along the line of intimidation aka Al Iafrate style.

Same would apply with Ryder. I think hes a good sniper with above-avg opportunities compared to his real talent/skills. Thats why I see him as max out (with the habs, he would do better with a 2 way center like Richards.) and if Gainey wants to trade him maybe he reached the same conclusion.(Thats speculation based on the rumors, so just take it as my opinion.)

Last edited by SOLR: 06-12-2006 at 11:23 AM.
SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote