View Single Post
Old
01-06-2013, 11:13 PM
DesertDawg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUX7PHX View Post
The following teams are in need of clearing cap space for next year, and open to trades (is there a trade deadline set with the reduced schedule?):

Boston
Chicago (maybe - would rather pursue Stalberg as a UFA)
Montreal (Galchenyuk is going to be up sooner rather than later, and the UFA/RFA situation are all bottom 6 contracts)
Philadelphia
San Jose (maybe - would rather pursue Clowe as a UFA)

That's honestly about it. Minnesota is not in awful shape, as the two contracts coming off are for Cullen and P.M. Bouchard - they could re-sign Cullen for a hometown discount, get the RFA D-men locked up for another 2 years at modest raises and fill 1 or 2 spots with rookies/call-ups.

FA could become a gold mine, just b/c teams may no longer be in a position to easily re-sign a certain player. I don't want to pick up a stretch run UFA in a trade and then have to worry about him bolting at the end of the season.
unfortunately the cap is only going down to ~$64mil not $60mil

Boston - Horton and Thomas are coming off the books; $57mil - 16 players
Chicago- $60.9-17 players
Minnesota- Backstrom will be a UFA and maybe allow Parrish's buy out cap hit to not be counted.
Philly-Pronger on LTIR won't count
SJ may lose Clowe and Murray to free agency

I disagree about acquiring a rental for the playoffs as long it's someone like Iginla for below his true trade value. This year it should be a buyers market for most of the season.