View Single Post
Old
01-07-2013, 12:12 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Harrington's toolbox is more than good enough for him to succeed in his role. He's not a burner but his speed and mobility are fine, and he's not a bruiser but he hits to separate and protects his patch of ice.

Hunter, his coach in London, repeatedly compares him to Girardi, who likewise doesn't have any of the standout qualities you mention. I think that's his reasonable upside, guys like Girardi, Hamhuis, or Gorges - none of those guys are intimidating physical presences or speed demons either. Around 6'1" or 6'2", 25 points a year and stout, reliable defense.
Girardi in particular but also Hamhuis are much more physical than anything Harrington has ever give indications of being, and both clearly bigger offensive threats. Hamhuis incomparably so. Even Gorges whose junior offense hasn't spilled over to the NHL produced at a much higher clip in traditionally the most austere of any of the Canadian leagues.

Quote:
Despres and Morrow aren't going to be filling the same role as Harrington though, and to be honest, I wouldn't be shocked if Harrington saw the NHL before Morrow did, in spite of the latter's higher upside.
Shocked? No. But Morrow has a stand out quality that can bring him into the league sooner than his overall capability would likely warrant a'la DelZotto. His PP skill and blast of a shot - something you can (rarely) just pick up a vet to do on the cheap. Harrington has to get in the same way Strait does/must. When we need a defensive D-man who can play on the PK... and that role is one where you can always go to the market and pick up an experienced guy, just as Harrington, like Strait has to leapfrog those unexpensive NHL seasoned players we already have.

Quote:
I think most would argue that the Rangers have about the best blueline in the league, youth or not.
I certainly would argue with that .
The Rangers have a good defense surely, but more a homogenous one than a great one, and if it wasn't for Lundqvist and the system they employ the players individually would be no way near as coveted. That is not a slight on Staal, McDonaugh or Girardi, all of whom I rate.

Quote:
Lundquist is great, naturally, but that doesn't take away from their quality. They certainly aren't the reason NYR hasn't taken it all.

More to our concerns though, we currently don't have a single defenseman on the big roster under 25. There's a lot yet to be determined, and given Harrington's performance and upside, and our weaknesses, we ought to make retaining him a priority.
Again, my point is that we have so many young D-men who are as of yet just unconfirmed prospects that we have the luxury to not treat any of them as priorities. The more we wait on, the more we are going to piss away simply because of creating a log-jam that insures these guys won't get to prove themselves in the NHL which is where genuine value is added. I know we rather agree on this which is why we are *****ing about the Pouliot pick.
For that reason also, I am really tempted to trade Harrington right now where he has a lot of positive press following his superb 2012 and being the better among Canada's D-men at the WC. Because until he gets into the NHL and shows that he can do there what he does in juniors, right now with that hype behind him he is going to be about as valuable as he will be.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote