Thread: Value of: Scott Harrington
View Single Post
Old
01-07-2013, 01:54 AM
bruinsfan46

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Zbynek Michalek and Rob Scuderi have carved out pretty solid NHL careers (mainly as top 4 guys) without having any particular outstanding skill.
Actually very good examples of guys with similar tools to Harrington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Harrington's toolbox is more than good enough for him to succeed in his role. He's not a burner but his speed and mobility are fine, and he's not a bruiser but he hits to separate and protects his patch of ice.

Hunter, his coach in London, repeatedly compares him to Girardi, who likewise doesn't have any of the standout qualities you mention. I think that's his reasonable upside, guys like Girardi, Hamhuis, or Gorges - none of those guys are intimidating physical presences or speed demons either. Around 6'1" or 6'2", 25 points a year and stout, reliable defense.

Despres and Morrow aren't going to be filling the same role as Harrington though, and to be honest, I wouldn't be shocked if Harrington saw the NHL before Morrow did, in spite of the latter's higher upside.

Nobody's untradable, least of all a prospect, but I can't imagine many plausible deals involving him that I'd pull the trigger on.

I think most would argue that the Rangers have about the best blueline in the league, youth or not. Lundquist is great, naturally, but that doesn't take away from their quality. They certainly aren't the reason NYR hasn't taken it all.

More to our concerns though, we currently don't have a single defenseman on the big roster under 25. There's a lot yet to be determined, and given Harrington's performance and upside, and our weaknesses, we ought to make retaining him a priority.
I know Hunter likes the Girardi comparison but I just don't see it. Girardi hits and hits hard, 211 hits in the NHL last year. Harrington isn't much of a hitter playing against boys, I doubt he starts hitting playing against men. Girardi was also a significantly higher scorer in the OHL and has three ~30 points seasons in the NHL, Harrington will likely come short of that number on a stacked OHL team this year unless he gets real hot offensively. Harrington has a tiny fraction of the offensive skill Hamhuis has, Hamhuis has scored in the WHL, AHL and now NHL. Gorges is by far the best of the three comparisons but even he is definitely more physical and was a better scorer in juniors.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote