View Single Post
Old
01-07-2013, 03:07 AM
Cogburn

vCash: 500
While this certainly stabilizes Luongo's value, I still don't see any new possibilities with the Leafs.

Taking guys like Horcoff, Upshall, Dipietro, or any other terrible, terrible, terrible contract, to be bought out of course, opens other avenues. The more I think about Komisarek being added to increase our value, or at least make it seem to justify what Toronto will spend, the more I think "meh". Our problem is that we already seem to be taking plenty of quantity, and a lesser amount of quality, then our roster requires.

Maybe it's just too much hockey today, but there is almost nothing to bring Luongo's contract's value down, the receiving team isn't forced to pay it out if he retires, there are no penalties, for the next 10 years anyway, and there isn't a totally disastrous roll back in the cap (64.3 million...next year). The only thing detractors can try to build an argument around is "what if he doesn't retire if he starts to play poorly?". Not to be presumptuous, but what if the piece we receive in a trade ends up with a critical golf injury after the trade is made, leaving a 9-iron stuck in his leg? Worrying about ifs like that will keep you from ever making a trade.

Anyway, yay, hockey!