View Single Post
Old
01-07-2013, 05:45 AM
GoTeamDom

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Ballard wouldn't be replacing Salo, he'd be replacing Edler and he's a huge downgrade. Garrison is Salo's replacement and probably a decent upgrade, but that still leaves a huge downgrade from Edler to Ballard.
I was just going simply by depth chart, not position.

Edler --> Hamhuis
Hamhuis --> Garrison
Bieksa --> Bieksa
Salo --> Ballard
Ballard --> Tanev
Tanev --> Alberts

I still stand by my argument that the top 4 is not significantly diminished swapping Garrison/Ballard for Edler/Salo. Your Hamhuis/Bieksa pairing would be your #1 pairing, which it arguably was anyways going up against opposing team's best lines. Garrison has been playing RD with Campbell for what it's worth, and a Ballard/Garrison second pairing would be more than adequate.

This isn't even slotting in any assets that you would assuredly get back in trade for Edler and Luongo.

I am not an Edler hater; in fact, I am a fan of his reliable, two-way game.

I just think that it is worth exploring the option of trading Edler, as he is the only major piece on this team that is not locked in for at least the next 2 years. I would suspect that this is by design and not just coincidence as Burrows got an extension during the off season.

With the compressed season being an absolute crap shoot, it would probably be a seller's market with teams that normally wouldn't be contending in a position to contend.

GMMG would be doing an injustice to the team if he was not at least exploring the option of trading Edler for a king's ransom. If I am misreading the potential market for Edler, then I would be content with keeping him longterm. Under no circumstance would it be acceptable to let him walk away for nothing.

I guess the other thing to consider is what you think the chances are for the Canucks to win it all this year. If you are more optimistic in their chances I suppose it makes almost no sense to deal your best dman. If you are more pessimistic like I am, then you end up trying to tinker with the lineup and try to find meaning throughout the season.

GoTeamDom is offline   Reply With Quote