View Single Post
Old
01-07-2013, 06:26 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I'd say this is a pretty good place to look at faceoff percentage.
That's a 4% difference, not a .4% difference, and it's pretty significant.

Ignoring the fact that playing Beagle and playing Hendricks aren't mutually exclusive ideas, Hendricks, at Beagle's age, had never played an NHL game, much less scored an NHL point. Beagle has yet to be given a full season at the NHL level. It's reasonable to expect that he'd improve his production if he was.
Lost in all the hilarity so far, to be fair, 4% faceoff difference actually isn't that big a deal. It's like, what, 1 faceoff per game or less? [EDIT: wow, Beagle only took 5 faceoffs per game last season if I'm reading NHL.com right? So 4% is like 1 faceoff every 4 games then when you're around 50%?) Since there's no way to really quantify the "clutchness" of the faceoffs (unless someone tracks them by zone or situation or whatever) they could live with the change in that area. I'd maintain that righty vs. lefty is a much bigger issue than the 4% difference.

Harping on Beagle as being not good enough for his role is just stupid, though, unless you have a specific replacement in mind that is notably better in some way (speed or versatility or whatever) while still being able to do what Beagle does at a cheap price.