View Single Post
Old
01-07-2013, 08:09 AM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

vCash: 500
Just to reiterate, it's only IF the players retire and dont play the years on the low tail end of the contract that there would be circumvention. And usually, players have to be forced into retirement kicking and screaming, always thinking they still have one more year in them. It’s not usually a case where they are eagerly looking to get out of the 9-5 grind and retire. That’s not a common profile I recognize.

And if that was the case, the cap space recapture system would seem to be the appropriate mechanism for dealing with that, not preventing normal declining contracts over time.

Just because a contract starts at the cap maximum and diminishes over time doesn’t make it a circumventing contract - it makes it a normal contract. A trade off - pay me now or pay me later. Young RFA’s will see rising contracts over the years, and older payers are more likely to see declining contracts. Setting up a contract structure like the owners suggested with 10% variance would lead to structures like: 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 for a $7mil cap hit. Now what scenario of player would that contract structure fit? None that I can think of, its unnatural and pointless.

There is currently a proposed mechanism for trading cap space, so like Jagr last time, a player can be traded but only half his cap hit. That is not going to also be seen as circumvention then?

Circumvention was never causing problems as there was linkage. Salary costs were fixed and pegged to revenues and contained with 3 salary caps. Why did they need to make any changes to contract term and variance when they have that recapture system now. Had they not made any changes to that, there would be no changes to the amount of teams in financial peril. Some may have to make tough financial decisions on contracts , but that is normal and will continue, and if they do it properly will prevent teams losing a mil or two from losing it if that’s what that owner wants.

Most hilarious is the idea that next on the owner/fan to do list is to get rid of guaranteed contracts. Allow rich teams each year to dump any of last years ufa’s they got and sign the latest and greatest better ones as they become available. Kind of legislating cap circumvention right into the cba permanently. I guess once that victory is achieved, no one will ever complain about circumventing again.

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote