View Single Post
Old
01-07-2013, 09:12 AM
Hammer79

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialK139 View Post
Forgive me if this has been brought up already, but is trading Lu such a good idea in a compressed sprint to the finish kind of season like what the Canucks are facing this year? With so many games in so little time wouldn't it be better for the boys in blue to have two reliable goalies they can roll with for an even split of games to keep them fresh for the playoff? I don't doubt that Schneider is a good goalie, and admittedly I'm personally a huge Lu fan, but it seems like handing the reins to Schneider to prove himself in a short season with less room for error than a typical season may not be the best course of action, especially with the scraps we appear to be offered from other teams (though admittedly HF is not real life, and GMs may be willing to pay more than Leafs fans). I would rather see us keep both goalies for the shortened year, hopefully boost both of their values through strong play down the stretch (where other teams may have issues with their starters) and then trade one in the summer around the draft to get under the cap.

There are obviously some cap implications in this path (and a nasty Lu vs Schneids argument that I don't want to get into ) but are there any reasons that we shouldn't keep both for the shortened season? Let's be honest, if the best piece we're getting back is Bozak, wouldn't everyone here rather have a reliable net presence (especially while AV figures out defence pairings) than a new third line centre? With all these amnesty buyouts we might even be able to pick up a 3C through free agency for cheap...
Lack has had a poor year as well. There aren't any good back-up options right now in the system, and the UFA market is very weak for goaltenders. I wouldn't be surprised if Luongo is still a Canuck through the end of the season, but I would be surprised if we have both Luongo/Schneider for the 2013-2014 season.