View Single Post
Old
01-07-2013, 09:29 AM
Tim Wallach

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
I wish he could get some AHL games next year, but apparently Galchenyuk can't play in the AHL next season?? (too young?).
Very stupid rule...imo.
The current CHL-NHL agreement under the CBA says junior-aged players (not over-agers) must either play in the NHL or the CHL. This rule was set up to protect junior hockey and the legions of fans buying seasons' tickets from losing all of their top players to minor pro leagues and possibly also having the kids sit on the bench in the AHL instead of top-line developmental minutes in junior.

As an avid junior fan, I love this rule, as do most fans of the CHL I assume. In a few elite cases like Yakupov, Galchenyuk, etc. there is the argument that, at 19 years old, they'd be best served with a bit of AHL experience, and that may be true. But I personally love that they err on the side of protecting junior hockey.

Not too many prospects have been hurt by playing their 19-year-old year in junior. And that's the bottom line. It works for all involved and no one (fans or players) tend to get hosed this way.