View Single Post
Old
01-07-2013, 10:32 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury_Sakic View Post
So, is Staal one of those guys we collectively would be happy to trade Stastny for in a situation where either Duchene and O'Reilly step it up enough so we know they can be #1 and 2 down the middle and add a 3rd line center via UFA ORthe Avs sign another top line center via UFA?
My preference is and always has been to keep all 3 of our centers (I believe there is certainly a way to make it work) and to acquire a 'Staal' type of d-man without giving up one of our key guys. I am a firm believer that this center depth is HUGE and was the key to our first cup with Sakic, Forsberg and RICCI. [Obviously, our current guys not on the same level but there is a reason we didn't win another cup until Drury emerged]

Before you all say "IMPOSSIBLE"...just give it some thought first.

Wouldn't you all have said the same thing about acquiring a top flight goaltender when we traded picks to acquire Varly?

The same can apply here. We have TIME on our side as our team continues to get better as we search for these kinds of opportunities. Either a good UFA signing or smart trading can improve our team without swapping out a key piece. Patience is key here though. There is really no reason to rush to make a lateral move right now. Now if Stastny doesn't want to sign an extension or wants to be moved, that changes things dramatically but for now, that's not the case.

I'm very confident that there will be opportunities that present themselves when contending teams (and the Flames ) struggle to get down to $64.3M for 2013-14.

http://www.capgeek.com/payrolls/?charts_year=2013

(Vancouver has already $60M committed in payroll for NEXT year with only 13 guys under contract - in comparison, we have $47M committed to 19 players signed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Sure, but if you ask a Rags fan we'd be told to shove off, because their top 4 defenders > EJ.
Last summer, there were a good deal of Ranger fans whom would have been open to this possibility, it would seem at least 'fair' but I believe we should be patient and take advantage of our good positioning salary-cap wise when the time is right.