01-07-2013, 09:49 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
I think the WJC's actually helped Jones' stock. He made some mistakes but was dominant at times also. The WJC is not a place for 17 year old d-men and he played big minutes on the Gold medal winning team.

I think that this tournament probably pushed him into the #1 ranking as Mackinnon didn't do anything at all to improve his ranking. I am not putting down Mackinnon as he was placed in a role that was difficult to show his skills but at the end of the day it is the great plays that scouts remember and Jones had many of them.
Personally I think any scout who fiddles around with their rankings tremendously after the WJC is not someone worth paying attention to, really. I think it would have taken a truly exceptional WJC by anyone to warrant them moving up any significant spots. When I say Drouin and Lindholm helped their cause, in my mind it only means they've cemented themselves further into the slots I already had them at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He had a whole lot more ups than downs. He had a bit of a shaky start but was a stud at the end, he was a force for USA. No player in the draft can dominate at both ends and potentially play 25 minutes a night like him.

It's not just about the WJHC, a lot of people had him 1st to begin with, but showing the impact he could make in big games bumps him up.

The WJHc helped Drouin's stock a bit but he was not too visible the last 2 games. macKinnon lost some points, not that he was given a big role but most scouts expected more.
I don't agree with your assessment - Jones played very well, especially considering his age, but I'm not going to say he was "dominant", or "a force". He still made more than his share of mistakes, from game one until the end. I'm not knocking him for it, it's simply the truth. As I said before, it would have taken a truly exceptional performance for anyone to move around much in my rankings, and I don't think Jones' was was exceptional. I don't fault him for it, it's incredibly hard to be dominant as an underager in this tournament.