Thread: Speculation: Luongo: The Neverending Story
View Single Post
Old
01-07-2013, 10:42 AM
StringerBell

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
I think having 2 quality goalies is more important in a shortened season, where any stumble could really hurt. Also, am I right with the assumptions that the cap is still high for this short season, and the buy-out amnesties apply this summer and next?
Wouldnt these facts add up to a much greater liklihood that Gillis will hang onto Luo for this year anyway if he doesn't get a good enough deal?

I mean if you're him, why would you move him for Bozak and an ok prospect and/or pick (who wont help this year), versus going with the proven tandem, and maybe just sign a guy like Arnott? Capgeek is showing them currently with $2.4M in space with a 23-man roster, if I'm reading correctly.

Can anyone tell me the justification for rushing this deal, or taking a deal as low as the ones posted here (mostly by our Leaf friends?)

And PS, I don't for a minute agree that avoiding 'discord in the room' is worth throwing away your #1 trading chip and security btw the pipes. We can throw him away in the summer, if it comes to that...
Agreed, on all accounts. The cap being at 64.3 next year and the staggered compliance buyouts make it possible to keep him around a little longer, if necessary. Or at least give Gillis a position to bluff from.