Thread: Line Combos: Defense Pairings
View Single Post
Old
01-07-2013, 10:52 AM
boyle2boyle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
As wonderful a job as Girardi's done on the right-side over the last few years, I'd like to see Torts flirt around with the idea of moving McDonagh there and have Marc as his partner. I think it's time to allow our best 2 dmen to opportunity to play together.

Staal-McDonagh
MDZ-Girardi
Bickel/Stralman/Eminger

Give McDonagh the green-light and have him try and expand his offensive game. He's skilled enough to play both sides, imo, although I honestly don't ever recall him playing there throughout his career. I think Marc and Ryan will bring out the best in eachother.

Allowing MDZ to play on the left side with a stay-at-home dmen like Danny G would allow to open up his offensive game as well. I like the physicality this second pair would possess. I don't like MDZ on the third pair, and I don't like his play on the right side.

Third pair is a work in progress. Had Sauer been healthy, I think things would be a little more black/white. Stralman was one of our most underrated dmen last season, but I don't think he's a bona fide top-4. Slot him down to the third pair. Give him more PP time.

Do you guys feel Staal-McDonagh and MDZ-Girardi as our top-4 would suffice, or be an improvement over what other alternatives we have?
I'm hesitant to break up McD - Girardi but you do offer some good points here.

How about putting MDZ and Staal together on the 2nd pair, and have Staal play the right side. That way he can play shutdown D on the right, and DZ can open up his offensive game from his natural position on the left. And we don't have to break up McD-Girardi.

This leaves some problems for the 3rd pairing though (who plays the left?)

boyle2boyle is offline   Reply With Quote