Thread: Speculation: Luongo: The Neverending Story
View Single Post
Old
01-07-2013, 12:08 PM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
So maybe you can show where the value is for the leafs to aquire a goalie who may only play for 4 years and possibly not at a high level?

Actually 5 years, if you count this shortened season. I think having high end goaltending over that span is worth something no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I am not sure that Mirtle's tweet means what some are saying it does. The "cap benefit recapture formula" was the PA's response to the NHL's desire that teams that signed the contracts get dinged with the penalties. From this article, it means this:

But I am not sure if that applies to the team that currently has the contract, or the team that signed the contract, or both. More info is needed before people assume Vancouver will be on the hook if RL retires early.

You're right, more info is needed. As it was explained on the VAN boards, this could translate to only about 1m on the books for 3-4 years (depending on when he retires). As is my understanding. But like you said, it's still unclear as to who is on the hook. Not enough info yet to know.