View Single Post
Old
01-07-2013, 12:34 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Tyutin is the guy that no one talks about who is on an absurd contract--it was absurd under the old CBA and it is more absurd now. In my view, we have too much of this defense locked up for too long...at a time when we have young defenseman who will need playing time.

Keep in mind that the buyout can be exercised in either of the next two off-seasons.

Stratetic acquisition of a player with a mid-range contract to be bought out as part of a larger deal should be considered in the right deal. But my guess is no buyouts get used this off-season, though it is possible the following season depending on how some of the defensemen develop.
There's only three guys locked up beyond next season (Johnson, Wisniewski, Tyutin).

Figure that the NHL defense this year consists of those three, plus Nikitin, Aucoin, and two from that group of Erixon, Moore, Savard, Ruth, Goloubef, Weber, Prout, and Holden. Obviously Moore has one of those locked up when he returns, and Savard most likely has the inside track...maybe Erixon while Moore is on the shelf. Or does Holden get an extended look in his last best chance?

Figure too that Aucoin is likely to retire after this season, and Murray should be back from injury. And it's not a sure thing that several of the mid-range prospects on the blueline ever amount to anything but replaceable depth. Is someone going to be on the move, perhaps to a team like Philadelphia (that has absolutely no defensive depth, as well as a truly bad blueline future situation)?

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote