View Single Post
Old
01-07-2013, 01:51 PM
mschmidt64

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I wouldn't move Miller + Thomas + for anyone at the deadline. The Rangers just dealt (4) pieces for Nash. The system isn't as well stocked as it was just a few years ago. The Rangers have their horses. McDonagh, Girardi, Staal, MDZ on defense, Hank in goal, Gaborik, Richards, Nash, Callahan up front.

I think we will see, possibly, a 3rd line C/winger brought in and a #5/6 d-man. That would compliment this team very well.

Looking to next season, the Rangers will have players like Hrivik (who the organization is very high on, and should be), Miller, Thomas, Bourque, Lindberg, Fast, McIlrath all vying for spots. This year the Rangers will be good. Next season, if some of those young players develop well and can make the next step, they have the opportunity to be a true powerhouse.
I would agree.

This team doesn't really need any more top 6 pieces at this point. I mean, if you get a tremendous bargain, you always do it, because legit top 6 players (in fact, top-10-in-the-league players like Nash) are just so hard to come by.

But I am not necessarily out shopping for one specifically.

Richards is a good (not great) #1 center. Stepan hopefully is (or soon will be) a very good #2 center. You've got two All-Star caliber wings in Nash and Gaborik. You've got a 20-30 goal lunch pail guy in Callahan who does all the dirty work in addition to being a scorer. Hell, even just adding a speed guy in Hagelin to round out that top 6 would be fine, but on top of that we are potentially adding in a Chris Kreider who could be anywhere from very good to near elite himself.

The top 6 is fine. The only thing I'd really, specifically go hunting for, if the opportunity came along, is a "franchise" center. But they very rarely hit the market. But conceivably, a guy like Joe Thornton in his prime, he was once traded. If a 26 or 27 year old version of him was out there, I'd want to pursue. The Rangers haven't had a true franchise center since..... Lindros? Messier?

But other than that, this team is fine in the top 6. I'd like to find another center for the bottom 6, maybe another winger, and a plus third pair defenseman.

Do that and this team is fine. And hell, if a guy like JT Miller develops quick, or Dylan McIlrath, it could be them. I wouldn't trade them away to get those pieces for sure.

mschmidt64 is offline   Reply With Quote