View Single Post
Old
01-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
After watching Detroits guys from the last decade all slowly work their way up the depth chart year by year, I have to think this the best approach for Scheifele. And all our prospects for that matter.

Start out on the third line. When you've earned a spot to
Move up, you move up. If you can't handle the third line, play in the minors until you can.

I have no problem with Scheifele playing 12-14 mins a game with Antro/poni/Burmi etc if he earns it in camp.
While I agree, the only thing I'd make clear is that if you earn the role, you've earned it. None of this sending a kid back because that's what MIGHT be best for his development (people forget that rushing is not the only way to bust a prospect, keeping him buried can do it too). If Scheifele has earned the right to play on this hockey team, and in our case this year he literally needs to steal a spot from Wellwood/Burmistrov/Antropov/etc, then he has earned the right to play and should be played.

Best players play, IMO, and if he proves ready than that's what his development calls for, there's no set path for prospects, no "road to Winnipeg leads through St. John's", every prospect is different and develops different. St. John's is just a tool to help, but not every player needs to go there...

Only exception's would be you don't want young kids not playing regularly (13/14 forwards) and you need to fill your roles right, Scheifele is better than Thorburn, but different roles, teams need all kinds, so he probably wouldn't be suited to 4th line, particularly if they will be sheltered and barely played again...