View Single Post
Old
01-07-2013, 01:50 PM
Fogelhund

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Macarthur is a LW, upcoming UFA, and is coming off a bad season. Bozak is so-so, I suppose, but is also an upcoming UFA, and Franson is a depth throw in that I suppose we could use but doesnt have much value.
The question isn't about getting the best player in the deal, it is about getting parts that make your team better. Bozak can fill in for the #2C spot, and will be an acceptable #3C as well. Yes, MacArthur had a difficult year last year, but is a gritty 2/3 guy, with decent offensive upside. They are both UFA's, but believe it or not, they can both be resigned at reasonable Cap hits, something Vancouver needs. Franson can provide 20-30 points on the backend, and likely not given a fair shake in Toronto. There are some reasonable pieces here, that would allow Vancouver to potentially become more competitive.

On the flip side, I've read this elsewhere, and it is factually true.

If Luongo is so great how can he lose his job to a 26 year old who's played a total of 68 NHL games over 4 years. How many GREAT goalies have lost their job to an inexperienced youngster in the last 10 years? Zero?

We can argue back and forth all day about this... but Vancouver needs to find Luongo a new home, and get some assets that make them a better team.

*** by the way, my cousin is a big Vancouver fan, and offered up the following trade before Christmas. If we take our winter weather back, which we did, we could have Luongo. ;-)