View Single Post
Old
01-07-2013, 01:58 PM
StarsFan74

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
A 2 year deal for Subban at $4M is worth a hell of a lot more than a 5 year deal at $4M if you look at the big picture. If he's proven himself as a legit #1, he's be something like 24-25 years old RFA and he probably be easily making $6M per year at that point.

As I see this, it comes down to how comfortable Bergevin/the Habs are with signing PK to a long term deal. If he's signing a long term deal - the compensation/year will go up signficantly.
I have to disagree. You need to look at this strictly from Subban's perspective and from a dollars and cents POV. The whole "big picture" thing comes across as naive and idealistic. The 2 yr, $4 M/year is definitely what Montreal would want, but I don't see Subban or his agent agreeing to a 2-year deal that will pay him a little less than his market price (we can agree to disagree on what that is, if you'd like). A 2 year deal doesn't work for him because he still ends up as an RFA and if he has a bad season then he loses his bargaining chip and the best he can do is take the team to arbitration.

My guess is, he will want somewhere in the range of what Carlson or Fowler got and most likely a little more than what they got in terms of money. That said, stranger things have happened and I am open to all possibilities.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote