View Single Post
Old
01-07-2013, 02:54 PM
MikeK

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Thanks for pointing out that we would have to have a terrible season to get a top pick. I hadn't known things worked that way before.

I don't want a mediocre, barely make the playoffs, don't have room to improve team. I want a competitor, and I'm not sure we have the assets yet to be that team. Sure, Luongo if we obtain him on a good trade for the Leafs, not giving up too much in assets.. we are a better team. Probably a 7th-11th team, instead of worse. Mediocre draft picks from there, not enough talent coming through the system, and hoping like hell we can pick up a Getzlaf as a UFA.

Given how long we've been bad, I don't view it as an extreme hardship to be bad for one more year, in order to get that elite player...

Of course, Reimer would probably stand on his head, and lead us to 9th place, and we'd be screwed anyway.

But, a Luongo trade, that costs us much of our future doesn't really do us much good long-term... beyond maybe just barely making the playoffs for a few years. I have higher ambitions for the team.
Your higher ambitions for the team is actually mediocrity. You continue to go along as is and see where that gets you. Maybe it will take your 10th year of no success before you start to realize that in order to get something you have to give something. Have had the success of Luongo and playoffs for a number of seasons now I can honestly say I wouldn't hesitate to make a big splash for a legit starter. There is nothing better then cracking a beer with the guys and watching your team in a stanley cup playoff series. I guess you wouldn't know what I'm talking about there though.