View Single Post
Old
01-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
Isles are loaded with prospects, trying to compete now. Just above I see criticism for not surrounding young guys with good vets and yet Isles are supposed to trade Streit and not acquire Visnovsky who fits what we need?

A non-playoff team shouldn't be giving up draft picks. It should be collecting extra ones. Your prospect level isn't loaded as much as you'll need it to be in order to go from the last place to Cup contention. The Rangers had a better prospect pool 2-3 years ago when they were already a consistent playoff squad, having made the playoffs in 7 out of 8 years, missing it once by losing a shootout in the last game of the season.

- The Isles were in the bottom 5 of the NHL each of the last 5 seasons.

- You'd think that with so many top-5 picks, with two additional first rounders and two more additional second rounders, they would be ranked higher than #6 on HF. Maybe HF is off-base here, but I don't think so. Nor can it be said that the prospects are in the NHL. Other than Tavares and Nino, none of the other firsts or seconds in the last 5 drafts graduated.

- They have only 2 guys returning this year who had 50+ points last season, and forwards are the team's strength.

- Who else can play like a legitimate second liner on a Cup contender? Okposo and Grabner? Maybe, but maybe not. Maybe a couple prospects like Strome and Nelson. I am not seeing any overload here. Tavares is a first liner, and Strome has the potential, though he proved zero so far. They have another 3-4 potential second liners, but again, no overload. They need everyone to work out in order to fill out their top-6 or top-9.

- On defense, I like Ham, and A-Mac is ok. Reinhart is a very good prospect, and another 4 guys are solid prospects. Again, the Isles would need EVERY one of them to pan out to fill out their top-6. No overload.

- The goalie situation is downright bad. And yes, I know about Nilsson and Poulin, and no, I don't care. The two have significantly worse stats on a solid Bridgeport team than Talbot has on the horrendous Hartford team that couldn't defend if their lives depended on it. And nobody on the Rangers views Talbot as a savior in the net. Because they are younger, they are superior prospects, but they are future backups, not starters on Cup contenders.

===========================================>

The Islanders are still in a bad position going forward. Their rebuild should continue. They should've dealt away Streit for youth instead of giving up a pick for Lubo. The best, fastest route for the Islanders to Cup contention is, unfortunately for you, another bottom-5 finish along with an extra couple of draft picks in the first or second round, acquired for vets. In fact, they would probably be well-served by trading away the soon-to-be-30 Moulson while he still brings a very significant return of youth back. The Isles will need another 3-5 years to start competing, and they are better off doing it with another Ryan Strome than with Moulson and Streit.