Players and Owners reach an agreement (MOD: circa 5am ET 1/6/13)
View Single Post
01-07-2013, 07:31 PM
Join Date: Jan 2005
Originally Posted by
Not sure I like the cap trading thing and I could see it becoming a nuisance down the road. But I'm sure every single team wouldn't mind it. It lets lower teams trade more and get to the floor easier through those 3 contracts and lets higher spending teams get a little more value and pay for it.
I can see lots of potentially ugly cases - hopefully they put some thought into how to handle things like:
- What happens if a player is sent down? put on LTIR? Suspended? Released? Do both teams get cap relief or only his current one?
- What happens if the player is traded again? Can his salary/cap hit then be split over 3 (or more) teams? Is the 50% limit then based on the players original salary/cap hit or the teams share?
- What happens if the player is later bought out?
- Do subsequent waiver claims have any effect on the split?
- If the player has Performance Bonuses, are their cap hits split for the purpose of the Performance Bonus Cushion?
The cleanest way to handle it would be to put the original team on the hook for the salary and cap hit committed to in the trade regardless of the later disposition of the player.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by kdb209